Jun 04, 2013 Bruce Lee: Don’t think, feel – Be water
My work heavily involves neutralizing and overcoming negative energy, including false and unjust accusations and prosecutions against my clients; prosecutors who try to railroad me and my clients away from fair days in court, and judges when they go along with that; police and prosecutors who spout negative words about my clients and the causes I proudly defend; and those criminal defense lawyers who see too many of their clients as slime or dunderheads or mere money sources, rather than as human beings to humanize and to defend to the hilt.
I am not on this planet to please anyone, but I am here to persuade on behalf of my clients. I have no need to have prosecutors, police and judges as my friends, nor to repel them if they want to be my friends. My professional obligation is to fight for my clients as best I can within the bounds of law and professional and personal ethics.
Martial arts and martial artists continue inspiring me to stay on the path of fighting effectively for my clients, without distraction from the negative and sometimes even underhanded words and actions of police, opponents and judges. When I treat those negative words and actions merely as water rolling off my back and as challenges to take on as needed, I am in the best shape to help my clients and to feel whole.
Practices and ideas that inspire me on the foregoing path include the following:
– My daily taijiquan practice.
– None other than television’s Kung Fu underlines such an approach to trial battle and all other battle, through Master Kan: "Perceive the way of nature and no force of man can harm you. Do not meet a wave head on: avoid it. You do not have to stop force: it is easier to redirect it. Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced." (Emphasis added.)
– Yoda underlines "Do. Or do not. There is no try."
– Bruce Lee said: "Don’t think. Feel."
– Bruce Lee also said: "Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. " He said that water becomes the cup, the bottle, and the teapot. Water can flow or
crash. "Be water, my friend."