Part-time Legal Assistant – Our highly-rated Fairfax criminal law firm has an immediate opening for one part-time experienced secretary/ legal assistant. The part-time assistant will join our existing experienced full-time and part-time assistant.
This is a great opportunity for those with prior secretarial or law office experience. The hired candidate will do rewarding work, interact extensively with clients, and learn great lessons in persuasion, litigation and criminal law. You will be trained by and work with our existing experienced full-time staff, and by lawyer Jon Katz.
– Work a minimum of three to four days weekly for a total of twenty hours weekly, during our regular business hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
– Have prior successful secretarial or law office experience.
– Handle fast-paced, dynamic work, giving full attention to detail and each project objective.
– Be ready for no day to be the same as the other, as we tailor our work to our clients’ needs.
– Have college experience or its intellectual equivalent, street smarts, and a caring and kind heart.
– Fulfill the essentials of good communication, good organization, devotion to serving our clients and firm well, promptness in your work, and productive time management.
– Have a car to drive to nearby courthouses when needed.
We use Westlaw legal research (on which we will train), MS Word, MS Outlook, Google Calendar, Dropbox, and online court docketing review. Touch typing with a minimum 40 wpm is required.
What pay, benefits and rewards do our employees get?
– We pay and train to retain. Parking is free. Our office is across the street from the Fairfax courthouse, spacious, beautiful and comfortable.
– You will learn innovative litigation approaches, ways to prepare cases for court, and effective persuasion.
– You will have substantial and meaningful contact with clients, witnesses, opposing counsel, and courthouse staff. Our clients are wonderful people who often are charged with crimes for the first and only times in their lives, and we help them minimize the fallout from their cases and to get on with their lives.
– This position is a rare opportunity that is ideal for law school-bound people and those interested in Constitution law and civil liberties.
HOW TO APPLY (Please only apply if you meet our hiring standards listed below):
– Please send lawyer Jon Katz, at firstname.lastname@example.org in pdf format (1) a one-page resume relevant to this part-time position and (2) a one-page cover letter that specifically addresses why you seek and qualify for this position, and why you prefer part-time work rather than full-time work. In your cover letter, please include your available working hours, your salary history, and reason for leaving each prior job. Please state that you are applying for our part-time job opening. Applications that omit the foregoing information will be delayed in being reviewed.
– Our job description is at katzjustice.com/jobs
– Please only apply by email with pdf, and only if you meet our above-listed qualifications.
– Please do not hand-deliver your application. Please do not call us unless we call you. Employment agencies are asked not to contact us.
We are fully devoted to Equal Opportunity Employment.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to apply.
Fairfax criminal lawyer/ Virginia DUI attorney Jonathan L. Katz has been successfully defending thousands of criminal defendants since 1991. To discuss your case with Virginia criminal lawyer Jon Katz, please call his staff to schedule a confidential consultation, at 703-383-1100