Aug 26, 2012 Random thoughts through August 26
On most Sundays, I organize and digest my best random thoughts of the week to my Underdog blog, whether posted on my Twitter page, https://twitter.com/jonkatz5, or elsewhere.
THE LAW WORLD
– 6th Circuit: No reasonable expectation of privacy in phone GPS for marijuana courier.
– Story of justice delayed and denied to criminal defendants in New Orleans
– Md. Ct. App.: Tasering two metal darts into a person amounts to an arrest requiring probable cause.
– 11th Circuit narrows power of Alabama to enforce immigration laws.
– Based on 1st Amend., D.C. Cir. affirms invalidation of FDA’s regs requiring anti-smoking graphics on cigarettes & ads.
– Md. Ct. App. okays trial court’s refusal for criminal defense counsel in closing argument to describe reasonable doubt as a continuum starting from reasonable articulable suspicion.
– Md.Ct. App. on the duress defense in a felony murder case.
– MD COA, 5-2, requires less than probable cause for cops to access DNA obtained through alcohol testing of a probationer.
– Criminal defendant wins partial appellate relief in 4th Cir. for inartfully-drafted federal indictment.
– Lawyers who sue clients for payment when the criminal matter is pending may create an actual conflict of interest.
– Md.Ct. App.: Trial court has discretion over crim. def’s request to proceed without counsel once voir dire begins.
– Prosecutor dismisses prosecution of Michael Wayne Hash, after serving multiple years on death row.
– American forces suffer 2000 deaths in the war in Afghanistan, meaning many Afghans and others also killed. Did the Bush II administration know it was entering a big muddy by going to war in Afghanistan and Iraq?
– Teacher ok’s cops’ racial bias: “if you look at the crime in [NY], it’s less white people; that’s just the way it is.” End racial profiling.
– The repressive Ethiopian Marxist gov’t was replaced by a repressive anti-Marxist gov’t claiming to be pro-democracy.
– Myanmar creates presumption of no pre-publication print censorship. Self-censorship will continue on sensitive items.
– Don’t sacrifice your privacy to Obama and Romney campaign phone apps.
– Dr. Hew Len: There is nothing out there. All data.
– Ihaleakala Hew Len: If you have depression, it is the information in the inner child/subconscious that is experiencing depression.
MINDFULNESS AND RELATED MATTERS
– @ukmindfulness: Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life & the world.”
– @davidnichtern : “When we are too attached to our conceptual mind we know the waves but we do not know the ocean.”
– Videos on Nipponzan Myohoji.
– The Sunrise Ceremony will be September 1, for the 19th anniversary of the Grafton, NY, Peace Pagoda.
– The story of Hanuman.
BEYOND THE LAW
– Home of Masters golf tournament is glacial at adding women (2012) and African Americans (1990).
– At the MLK Memorial August 28: Screening of “The Long Walk Home” preceded by remarks.
– Syphilis in adult film actor leads to moratorium on such films. If only syphilis were the worst STD, v. AIDS & herpes.