Feb 09, 2014 Random thoughts through February 9, 2014
On Sundays, I sometimes veer well beyond the law in my blog entries, including the following post that collects my last week’s thoughts on the law, government, and beyond from my Twitter postings at https://twitter.com/jonkatz5 and elsewhere.
THE LAW WORLD
– Here is another reason that I say the judiciary includes prosecutors in robes. Meet Iowa federal trial judge Stephanie Rose.
– Va. Ct. App. okays warrantless seizure of child pornography evidence via D’s use of file sharing software. Rideout v. Virginia, ___ Va. App. ____ (Feb. 4, 2014).
– 4th Cir. affirms counterfeit prescription drug possession w/intent to distribute conviction. 4th. Cir. okays trial court’s barring cross exam on gray market for cheaper Viagra abroad, & affirms ev. was sufficient to convict.
– Md.’s highest court warns judges to tread carefully before giving jurors an anti-"CSI" effect instruction. Robinson v. Maryland, ___ Md. ___ (Jan. 27, 2014).
– 4th Cir. remands BIA’s denial of Chinese couple’s asylum claim founded upon fear of persecution for having two kids.
– Last week, Penelope Soto got her Xanax possession charge dropped after succeeding with drug diversion. Last year, I blogged against Soto’s contempt conviction for flipping off a judge who was himself too flippant.
– SCOTUS prohibits conviction for distributing drugs preceding death if not the but-for cause of death.
– SCOTUS: Airlines & their employees are immunized from libel suits for reporting to TSA absent a finding of material falsehood.
– Va. Code § 18.2-371 covers Virginia’s zero tolerance for sex with even a 17 year old a day b/f turning 18.
– The fed govt. is delaying executions until replacing the now-unavailable sodium thiopental for lethal injections.
– Many D.C. MPD police officers are getting arrested. Presumed innocent, of course
– The Obama Administration is working on regulations to allow banks to take money from state-permitted marijuana.
– NORML’s details on state medical marijuana laws.
– The U.S. farm bill includes allowing industrial hemp production after a multi-decade ban required importing it from such places as Canada and China.
– The Va. State Senate may have halted re-using the electric chair bill by referring it to the Courts committee.
– Sadly, the Obama Administration retrenches to say to Congress that it opposes state legalization of marijuana.
– An example of the electric chair’s sending flames shooting through the condemned’s head.
– Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts forgets this is the 21st Century, when gushing about Indians in Dodge to Vivek Murthy.
BEYOND THE LAW
– "Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances." -Maya Angelou
– Gemma Moss was not killed by marijuana toxicity. Praised be the experts setting the record straight. The acute toxicity of cannabis is very low.
– Article on the risk level of driving while on antidepressants.- NOAA’s celsius to fahrenheit conversion chart and fahrenheit to celsius chart.
– The National Congress of American Indians presents the excellent Proud to Be video, to change the Redskins team name. See their report "ENDING THE LEGACY OF RACISM IN SPORTS & THE ERA OF HARMFUL ‘INDIAN’ SPORTS MASCOTS."
– Dennis Banks- From Violence to Nonviolence.
– The Fentanyl that gets mixed with heroin sounds like some awfully dangerous stuff.
– A friend brought me this beautiful silver bell from India, joining my office’s singing bowl and chime.
– Matthieu Ricard: "The habits of happiness."
– Anger is as futile as the scene in "Jaws" where the shark eats its own guts that have been slit open.
– Arron Huey went to the Black Hills, and was metamorphosized to advocate for American Indians.
– "The Untold History of Zines" Scott Huffines and Sarah Boonstoppel of Atomic Books.
– ”I decline to answer that question – it’s too stupid,” Bill Buckley responded on the witness stand.
– Shunry Suzuki-roshi: Treat every moment as your last. It is not preparation for something else.
– Krishna Das says Ram Dass reassured that Your mantra will protect you.
– Feeling superior or the best is damagingly dualistic. Cheering excellence in others and yourself is the way to go.