Jan 11, 2015 Random thoughts through January 11, 2015
On Sundays, I sometimes veer well beyond the law in my blog entries, including the following post that collects my random thoughts on the law, government, and beyond from my Twitter postings at https://twitter.com/jonkatz5 and elsewhere.
THE LAW WORLD
- D.C. Ct. App. reverses assault conviction for violation of 6th Amendment’s Confrontation Clause.
- Former Va. governor Bob McDonnell was sentenced to two years in prison, which is well below the applicable voluntary sentencing guidelines.
- Former D.C. police officer West Taylor told me this past week of the story I missed, of his shooting dead a home robber in 2013 in Calvert County, Maryland. See the NRA advocacy video on the story. I first met Wes in the early 1990’s, when he was a courthouse bailiff.
West told me he did not obtain a lawyer to be present when speaking with the police about killing the robber. Beware speaking with the police when an actual or potential suspect.
West Taylor took a real risk doing so without a lawyer present. He may have fared worse had he not been a former police officer talking to police officers, and possibly also known and well-respected by the county police.
- Here are links to online John schools to possibly help prostitution solicitation defendants obtain better negotiations or sentences in their cases. I do not know anything about their quality or reliability yet. They range in price:
- Logan Institute John school.
- Additional resources related to John schools:
- Henrico County, Virginia, has a John school.
- NRC-CSE might be able to point people to live John schools in their geographic area.
- Other John schools might have referrals, including the those listed here(including the Norfolk, Virginia, program), and the San Francisco Johns school.
- Website about and Abt Study on John schools.
- Washington Post article tries to separate fact from fiction on the incident involving Chipotle employee(s) w/ hands up.
- Britain should do away with its advertising standards authority, and its censorious ways. Also, the U.S. government should get out of the business of violating free expression rights, for instance by lifting the ban on broadcast tobacco advertising, just for starters.
- N. Korea blundersby calling Obama a reckless “monkey in a tropical forest.”
BEYOND THE LAW
- ISIS members beheaded a street magician for creating illusions. This is beyond despicable.
- When we see everyone as connected, we work as hard for our customers as if they were ourselves or our closest relatives.
- Just as water passes through our fingers, we cannot hold onto anything.To struggle to do otherwise will backfire.
- Ho’oponopono video series from Maui.
- Restaurant owner allows ambulance/fire access to man overdosed on heroin, but asserts his right to decline police entry.