May 10, 2009 Fighting and persuading from the center
Once again, yesterday, I learned great lessons at the Capitol Hill t’ai chi-sensing hands/push hands practice, including the following practice for sensing hands:
– Move hands little and with little force.
– Connect elbows with pusher.
– Connect palm to pusher’s’wrist.
– Push against opponent’s forearm, using the lower body to push.
– Rollback and press against opponent.
– Sink into the press and push.
– In yielding to the opponent, do not yield faster than the opponent moves.
– Effective push hands can be accomplished through moving slowly.
The hand movements become like a hydraulic system, without using much hand-arm force.
The foregoing principles also apply very much to persuasion and to engaging opponents in any battle.
As always: Relax throughout, and apply the t’ai chi principles throughout.